Earlier this year I had to do a literature review for my capstone class, Outside: Your Self in the World. We were encouraged to pick a topic that had to do with our capstone project as well as deal with the theme of getting “outside” of oneself. For this, I focused on how Japanese street fashion is “outside” of traditional Japanese standards. In it, I look at:
- The History of Japanese Street Fashion and why it’s Different
- The Different Styles of Japanese Street Fashion
- The Subcultures of Japanese Street Fashion
- Japanese Street Fashion and Globalization
- Japanese Street Fashion and Feminism
Give it a read if you would like, I enjoyed doing the research for this. I will be doing a separate post of my own on Japanese street fashion that will go more into the styles themselves. I have posted the link to the document below.